RAGGING IS A CRIME
Ragging of fresher/ junior is strictly prohibited in andoutside the campus of the College. Those, who arefound guilty of ragging / abetting ragging, shall bepunished severely as per the relevant regulations of the MCI / DCI / INC / UGC and the provisions of the Actof the Central Government and the StateGovernment.
Ragging Includes the Following:
Any conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of harassing, teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student.
Punishable act of Ragging
- Abetment to ragging;
- Criminal conspiracy to rag;
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging;
- Public nuisance created during ragging;
- Violation of decency and morals through ragging;
- Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt;
- Wrongful restraint;
- Wrongful confinement;
- Use of criminal force;
- Assault as well as sexual offences or even unnatural offences;
- Criminal trespass;
- Offences against property;
- Criminal intimidation;
- Attempts to commit any or all of the above -mentioned offences against the victim(s);
- Physical or psychological humiliation.
- All other offences following from the definition of Ragging
Ragging shall be considered as a cognizable offence under the law at par with rape and other atrocities against women and ill treatment of persons belonging to the SC / ST. Strict action shall be taken against those found guilty of ragging or of abetting ragging. Each student is required to give an undertaking in printed Proforma to the effect that he / she is aware of the law regarding prohibition of ragging as well as the punishment and further that he / she has not been expelled and / or debarred from admission by any institution and he / she if found guilty of the offence of ragging and / or abetting ragging is liable to be punished appropriately including even arrest by Police. A student seeking admission to the hostel shall also have to submit additional undertaking along with his / her application for hostel accommodation.
Awardable punishment at college level / Institution level:
Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established by the Anti -Ragging Committee of the institution, the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging at the institution level shall be any one or any combination of the following:
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
- Withholding /withdrawing scholarship /fellowship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing in any test/ examination or other evaluation Process.
- Withholding results
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension / expulsion from the hostel Rustication from the institution for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution fora specific period.
- Fine of Rs. 25,000.00 to Rs. 1 lakh.
- Collective punishment: When the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.
- Cancellation of admission. College has constituted Anti -Ragging Committee and Anti -Ragging Squad to address anycases of ragging happening in campus. The 24×7 toll free helpline number to report such cases is 1800 313 1714.